Pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants, and children up to age five could be eligible for WIC.
- Be a resident of Graham County
- Must have a family income less than 185% of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. The income guidelines can be found online through the NC WIC website here. Contact Graham County Public Health WIC Office at 828-479-7900, ext. 3 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for eligibility screening over the telephone. Any person receiving Medicaid, Work First Assistance or Food and Nutrition Services (formerly food stamps) will meet income eligibility.
- Must have a nutritional risk. This assessment is made at the WIC office.
To demonstrate income eligibility you will need to bring the following:
- A current Medicaid card
- Pay check stubs for everyone in the home
- Proof of your physical address. (If your physical address is different than your mailing address, please bring proof of both.)
WIC Certification Periods
Certification periods will be applied as so:
- Breastfeeding women: Certified for 12 months after delivery or when breastfeeding ends.
- Non Breastfeeding Postpartum women: Certified for 6 months after delivery
- Children: Certified every twelve months after first birthday until they are five years of age.
- Infants: Certified until first birthday (12 months).
- Pregnant Women: Certification is during pregnancy and up to six weeks postpartum. Call for a postpartum appointment after delivery to prevent a lapse in WIC benefits.